Monday, 9 April 2007

I am a whimsical person, at heart

I think the most magical thing I've come across recently is disadvantaged young people playing music on their mobiles and singing along while riding public transit, mainly buses. While this is probably not most people's cup of tea, in fact, I'd wager that most Londoners consider the phenomenon of teenagers acquiring mobile phones with Mp3 functionality and loudspeakers to be somewhere in between Iran acquiring nuclear weapons and Britney Spears acquiring another baby - however, I will add the following caveat: it's only good when they play really gay music.

Divas, mainly.

I was riding the bus a few weeks ago and there were two of what the Daily Mail call 'yobs,' and they were sitting in the back looking menacing and, oh, fourteen, and playing hip hop out of a mobile. Fitty Cent, Akon, and such. Let's just say it was quite a bad day, you know, heading to work, hungover, feeling shit over some comedy gig that didn't go so well the audience were philistines at... When suddenly and without warning, the track changed.

To Irreplaceable. By Beyonce Knowles.

And the lads started singing along.

There is nothing that brightens one's day more than the scene of two hard-looking guys singing along to an empowering girl-rock/R&B anthem about 'kicking one's man to da curb.' It bespeaks a fantastic confidence and suddenly makes everything feel right about the world - I guess they just knew what they wanted, how to get it, and that no scrubs would be involved.

'You must not know 'bout me, you must not know 'bout me
I can have another you in a minute
Matter of fact, he'll be here in a minute, baby.'


'D'ya get me, bruv?'



****

More about Iran, on a slightly more serious note - Peter Wilby points out, rather surprisingly, re: intelligence about the British sailors being in Iraqi waters at the time -

'Only Craig Murray, the former British ambassador to Uzbekistan who headed the Foreign Office's maritime section from 1989 to 1992, pointed out that no maritime border between Iran and Iraq has ever been agreed and that the MoD's map was, to all intents and purposes, a fake. His revelation was buried on page 59 of the Mail on Sunday and largely ignored by other papers.'

Shame then that this information was buried away on page 7 of the boring Media section of the Guardian. But we all make mistakes. Dear Guardian, please rectify this mistake by giving me a job. I write stuff about boys singing soul diva songs along to mobiles and am funny.

No comments: