Monday, 7 May 2007

TV Party Tonight!


Does anyone remember that episode of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air where Will and Carlton are at university and they try to join this black fraternity? The fraternity thinks Will is cool enough, but Carlton is far too privileged and upper-middle class to be part of their little 'pay-to-have-friends' society (because essentially, that's what frats are), which is taken to be read as 'Carlton, you ain't black enough fo' Phi Beta Alpha' (or whatever it actually is).

So, here we are at the climax of the episode, and Carlton overhears the frat president trash-talking him to Will, and he has a very moving, very inspirational speech, one line of which resounds in my ears to this very day:

"We both running the same race, so why you tripping me up?"

I like the active metaphor implicit in 'race' and 'running,' but I don't understand why Carlton has put on a fake black-cent to deliver this speech. Surely that just proves the point the fraternity was making in the first place.

Hillary Clinton has a cultural predecessor!

****

Commisserations to Segolene Royal, who lost the French election Sunday (I can relate, I left my sunglasses on the bus this weekend). Pity. I really liked her and I do hope we see great things from her in the future. Here's a fun fact: you know, in France, they call her 'Royal with cheese.'

3 comments:

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

With you on the Royal thing, Sarkozy is quite scary and sweats a lot.

He is also a bigot.

Broderick said...

Also, isn't he the son of Dracula?

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

You mean Michael Howard?