Tuesday, 31 July 2007

Zombies


I was at The Good Ship in Kilburn last night, which is turning into a really ace comedy venue, by the way, and I was doing a longer set to support Mark Allen's Edinburgh Preview. It's nice to have the freedom of a 20 minute set so I added some new material, one longish story about Chinese superstitions, and one very bizarre story that I made up on the bus ride to the venue about the Kate Bush song "Wuthering Heights," the Emily Bronte novel Wuthering Heights, and zombies.

It went pretty well, but I think that particular odd story required a bit less 'isn't this funny, my imagination is so witty and weird and clever' and a bit more, uh, jokes. It does end with me accusing Kate Bush of being into occultish sexual practices, though, so I think everyone wins.

Hmmmm... what else? I have finished Harry Potter and now am in between novels, so I'm reading essays and short stories because that's really all I can stomach - isn't it funny that somehow Foucault is more concise than JK Rowling? So yes, Foucault, also Consider the Lobster: Essays by David Foster Wallace, and No One Belongs Here More Than You by my favourite performance artist-cum-film-maker, Miranda July.

I recommend all, except for Foucault, who I am only name-dropping so you don't think I'm stupid and only read Harry Potter.

No comments: